Printer duplexing - HOLIP curiosity question??

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 17 02:13:54 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> William Case wrote:
>
>> Hi;
>>
>> I am just now going to download HPLIP.
>>
>> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 22:12 -0500, William Case wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David;
>>

>>> No I don't have HPLIP.  I'll download it tomorrow.  One of my problems
>>> was that CUPS had the HP psc 1300 driver.  I applied the psc 1310 driver
>>> and everything (except duplexing) was working again. I don't know what
>>> happened there.  I had a burp while I was updating CUPS this afternoon,
>>> or I could have inveterately changed the driver while I was playing
>>> around.
>>

>> s/inveterately/inadvertently/ -- always be careful when using a spell
>> checker.
>>

>>> In any case, I have had enough for today.  Sourceforge.net has
>>> instructions for installing HPLIP in fedora core 4.  I'll use them.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your trouble.
>>

>> But what is HPLIP?  I've read the release notes etc. on SourceForge, but
>> what does HPLIP replace? -- my psc 1310 driver. Or, is it a new set of
>> drivers that is equivalent to the Windows drivers.  Does it give me
>> access to other tools like scanning (+ sane).  As a user did you notice
>> any significant changes to the operation of CUPS or your printer?
>

> Frankly, I've got the same questions. I've heard a few times about
> HPLIP, but nowhere have I seen a list of features. The website for
> it has something which claims to be a list of features, but which
> is really just a changelog. So, although I downloaded it the other
> day, I haven't built and installed it. I got HPIJS from HP, and
> installed that months ago. I've been satisfied with the driver
> per se, but not with not having a reasonable access to the features
> of the printer I use.
>
> Now, FC2 came with HPIJS, and the default install was great. But I
> wanted more of the features available via the toolbox under Windows,
> and the ability to do two-sided (non-duplexed) printing. So I got
> the latest HPIJS from HP. But no extra features.
>
> I don't own a scanner, so I don't need that I/F. I don't use a
> digital camera, so I don't need special I/F for that. What I
> have is a printer I want to use, and use all its features.
>
> I wonder just what, really, is in HPLIP, and whether what it
> has can be installed incrementally, or will it just eat a lot
> of disc and memory.
>
> Mike

HPLIP is the next generation driver from HP, it moves on from HPIJS and
HPOJ,you cannot use HPLIP and HPOJ on the same system to many conflicts.
  I use Cups to configure and NOT s-c-printer[-gui] I have no problem
with [x]sane or copying [PSC-2110],as for features I know little but
there is a 'toolbox' with cartridge align. ink state [full/empty]
current print job.

    david