GNOME updates vs. KDE updates

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Mon Dec 19 03:38:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 00:30 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> ... Which has nothing to do with building GNOME 2.10.x for FC4.
> Please don't turn this thread into a KDE vs. GNOME thread.

Thank you for saying that Gilboa. Nothing could have been further from
my intentions that this turn into some kind of GNOME/KDE flamewar. I
suppose in retrospect that my use of "vs." in the subject line was bound
to be misinterpreted, but I meant it in the sense of "in comparison to"
and not in the sense of "fight to the death with".

Consider this: it really doesn't matter whether you use GNOME, KDE or
neither. Unlike other packages which are part of Fedora Core, GNOME does
not seem to be getting the standard bugfix/maintenance packages in
updates-released. And that seems odd, and worthy of asking why that is
the case.

I don't begrudge KDE users the lovely Christmas present they got in
having 3.5 packages. Not in the least. That's shiny! But I did mean to
compare the two situations, in that an update like that (3.4.x to 3.5.x)
is generally unusual (unlike, say, an update from 3.4.1 to 3.4.2),
whereas updates from GNOME 2.10.0 to 2.10.1 to 2.10.2 are surely to be
expected. So where are they?

I can't currently find on the GNOME website what the changes were, but
googling "GNOME 2.10.1" and "GNOME 2.10.2" throws up some links that
suggest that small but reasonably annoying bugs were fixed in several
packages.

I'm really posting this here for now because I'm not convinced bugzilla
is the most appropriate place to raise this issue ATM (for starters,
what component would I report it against?---there is no "GNOME in
general" component). In the fullness of time and after further
discussion I will of course lodge this in bugzilla.