service COMMAND how to reinstall ??

Wong Chin Whei NCS chinwhei at ncs.com.sg
Wed Dec 21 00:31:30 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of Justin Willmert
Sent: Wed 12/21/2005 8:12 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: service COMMAND how to reinstall ??

Wong Chin Whei NCS wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering the command that we use to see services ..
>
> e.g. service httpd restart
> e.g. service --status-all
>
> which GNU package does it comes from ?
> how do i reinstall this thing
>
> Regards
> Danny Wong

Do these steps on your computer. I provide my output as an example.

1) First, find out where 'service' is at.
        [root at netserv etc]# whereis service
        service: /sbin/service
2) Next we query the rpm database for the package that provided it.
        [root at netserv etc]# rpm -q --whatprovides /sbin/service
        initscripts-8.11.1-1
3) Now you should be able to download the initscripts package, and
reinstall it (try an upgrade, and if that won't work, do an install with
the --force option)

I did steps 1 and 2 so I know they'll work, but I don't give any
guarantees about step 3. It should point you in the right direction at
least.

Hope I helped,
Justin Willmert

THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH.