dhclient-3.0.2-26.FC4 broken ?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed Dec 21 14:35:33 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, Dec 21st 2005 at 09:25 -0500, quoth James Kosin:

=>Sebastian,
=>
=>I think you are right.  But, there is a growing majority that do not like
=>using .255 as the IP.  Because this address is usually reserved for broadcast
=>addresses and not for physical machines.
=>That the case the script should be looking for an IP that ends in .255 and not
=>one that contains a 255 in the IP address.
=>
=>James Kosin

I'm sorry to change the subject slightly but this may be almost relevant.

I just recently moved to new hardware here at home. I needed to tell my
cable provider that I had a new macaddress. I ran into two problems.

First, I needed to release my lease on my ip address. The man page said to
use the dhclient -r option. It did not work.

The second problem is that the spoofing of the old macaddr was allowed to
be set but the ISP still saw the new address. I used system-config-network
to set the old macaddr. When the interface tried to come up, the ISP saw
the new macaddr.

Should I file bugs with Fedora or is there something I'm doing wrong?

steveo at syslang.net