dhclient-3.0.2-26.FC4 broken ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 21 14:50:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 15:20 +0100, Sebastian Kloska wrote:
> Since the latest update I do not get a default gateway via dhcp
> in our companies network. Found out that dhclient-script
> in dhclient-3.0.2-26.FC4 rejects to set our default route.
> 10.0.255.254

I haven't tried the latest client, but the prior one wouldn't set a
gateway for me on a Windows network, though apparently did on a Linux
network.

> The add_default_gateway function is never called whenever there is a
> 255 within the ip of the default route as reported by the DHCP server,
> which is the case  in our companiesnetwork.
>
> Is this a bug or is there a convention which forbits the *255*
> gateway address?

It's common for a x.x.x.255 IP address to be a broadcast address, though
it doesn't have to be (there are other preconditions).  Some things do
seem to have problems with .255 ending IP addresses, even when they're
not a broadcast address.  For that reason, it can be advantageous not to
use them.  You may, later, discover even more problems than than the one
that you've just noticed.

A x.x.x.254 is a common convention for a gateway address, but it's just
a custom, there's no obligation.

I read messages from the public lists.