Yum dependencies [still]

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Dec 23 04:19:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 15:19 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 02:33 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > It actually is quite simple: Current livna's packaging/update strategy
> > > puts the rpm dependencies into an inconsistent state, i.e. this is a
> > > packaging bug.

> > > Yes. Fact is, livna's strategies breaks this rule.

> > > Agreed, but again, the dependencies can not be resolved, because livna's
> > > packaging strategy is broken. So all installers (yum etc.) can do is to
> > > try to find a reasonable compromise that doesn't destroy your system,
> > > i.e. not to update it.

> > But what I'm saying is all the other 100 or more packages *could* be
> > updated. The ones that do *not* have dependencies. Upgrade them and wait
> > until the others dependencies are resolved.
> >
> That approach is certainly a yum issue, not an issue with the packager.
> I think many of us would agree with that.
No disagreement, here. This issue ("how to react upon broken rpm-deps")
is a yum problem, however, the broken rpm-deps are a livna issue.

If livna recompiled kernel-module-nvidia for older kernels, this thread
would not have appeared. Their current method however, forces anybody to
manually do this by themselves or to find other ways around it.

Ralf