new to Fedora Core 4

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Dec 23 05:57:32 UTC 2005

On Fri December 23 2005 12:35 am, Nathan Low wrote:
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
>   I'm thinking about switching to Fedorea Core 4.  If I buy Windows
> Crossover Office Standard 5.0, should Norton Goback 5.0 and Norton
> Utilities 2002 be compatible with Fedora Core 4?
This is really a question for the Crossover Office list - if you don't get an
answer on the Fedora list, you might try there

> If I saved photos under
> Windows XP, can I copy and paste it from my cd to this operating system?
yes
> If I can't copy and paste photos from my cd that I saved under Windows XP
> and transfer it to this operating system, does this Fedora Core 4 come with
> a program that I can scan and save photos as well as edit?
yes - viewers, photo-editors, scanning -- many ways of doing these things with
Fedora

> Does Fedora
> Core 4 come with utility programs like a disk defragmentor
not needed
> , a spyware scanner,
not really needed
> an anti virus program
there are some available, but not really needed
> & firewall program,
yes - Fedora comes with a package called iptables in which you can write a set
of firewall rules and turn them into a script - if that's more than you want
to tackle, there are a number of packages that give you a graphical user
interface and templates that will let you easily set up a firewall
> a program that's similar
> to System Mechanic if Fedora Core 4 if I can't install System Mechanic,
there are lots of tools for checking various parts of your system built in
> and
> a media player that plays audio and video clips as well as playing dvds?

Fedora has lots of media players; these won't handle proprietary formats like
Windows Media, but there are packages available that are easily installed
that will -
>   Can this operating system configure my video card, my sbc dsl internet
> service, my speakers, my monitor, my hp 2100c scanner, and my hp 3322 color
> inkjet printer?

probably - you need to research the printer and scanner, but HP stuff is
generally handled well by Linux -

>   Please respond.  Thanks.

Just go ahead and try it - it's free. If you're not afraid of tinkering, and
reading and researching, you can do almost anything in Linux that you do in
Windows, and many things you can do better.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA