OT: Gmail and reading this list

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Dec 23 19:21:33 UTC 2005

On Saturday 17 December 2005 10:16 am, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> > If I send an email to the list via my business SMTP server, Fedora-list
> > will reject it if I'm subscribed via my gmail account (I'm not, but I've
> > tried this)
>
> You can be subscribed twice. Once with your business address, and once
> with your gmail address. You turn off delivery for your business
> address (using the link at the bottom of each list e-mail).
>
> What this does is let the list software know that it should accept
> e-mails from your business address.
>
> You collect e-mails via your gmail account.
>
> Erm -- yes. "Collect" was deliberately "technology-indifferent". I was
> assuming that you'd "collect" via POP3. You could also forward it to
> your ISP, but why?
>
> > But I want list mail delivered to my business ISP inbox - that's the
> > whole point
>
> Erm -- why? It looks like you're using KMail. You should be able to add
> two receiving accounts in KMail: one for your business ISP and one for
> GMail. You can configure KMail to collect from GMail via POP3, and not
> have to worry about your list e-mail filling up your business ISP inbox.
>
> I use Demon for personal stuff and GMail for lists. And the first time
> they meet is on my machine.
>
> Hope this helps,

James: This is to confirm that your suggestion works perfectly. Now, I get all
the advantages of gmail, threaded message lists in my mailbox that include my
own messages back from the list, and the ability to turn off the forwarding
to my business mailbox from gmail when I require that.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA