Laptop Thermal Problem

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Dec 24 04:35:38 UTC 2005

On Friday 23 December 2005 23:28, Rod Haper wrote:
> But what is different about FC4?  Why does my D810 work with Knoppix and
> M$ XP but fail with FC4?  What am I missing?  If there is anyone that
> has a D810 with the A04 BIOS and not having this thermal shutdown
> problem with FC4, I'd sure like to hear about it and what if anything
> you did to avoid this problem.

The solution to your issues is probably in the i8kutil package. i8k is support
for many of the features dell puts into their inspiron and lattitude models.
Do a google search and you should find more than enough info about it.
I run the gkrellm plugin since that gives you a very nice overview over fan
speed and also allows you to easily change the levels that trigger fan speed
changes.

Peter.