Yum dependencies [still]

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 04:46:59 UTC 2005

On 12/23/05, M. Lewis <cajun at cajuninc.com> wrote:
> Thanks very much for the detailed step-by-step Ralf. Very much appreciated.
>
> As soon as I finish updating the other 158 packages that Yum decided not
> to install due to this silliness, I will try this. Personally I find it
> quite irritating to have to install 158 packages, one-by-one because of
> one or two dependencies that could not be resolved.
>
> Thanks again !
> Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't know why no one has told you this before, but yum has an
option --exclude that can be used in this situation.  Check out "man
yum" for more info.  I'm not sure which package exactly you are stuck
on, but it seems like it is kernel-module-nvidia.  Try this and see
what happens:

yum --exclude=kernel-module-nvidia\* update

If it complains that it cannot update other packages, just add them as
other excludes until it works.  Should be easier than updating
package-by-package.

I agree with others in this thread, I do not see why yum cannot figure
out which packages it *can* update without conflicts (that is, with
code written to do that).  Is it really that hard a problem to solve?
I'm sure it could get complex, but it seems like it should be able to
figure out at least simple cases like this.  If a package cannot be
updated because of dependencies, try again with that package set not
to update.  Repeat until it succeeds.  Would this really be that hard?
 Maybe I need to learn Python...

Merry Christmas to all!

Jonathan