Yum dependencies [still]

M. Lewis cajun at cajuninc.com
Sat Dec 24 04:55:09 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 12/23/05, M. Lewis <cajun at cajuninc.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks very much for the detailed step-by-step Ralf. Very much appreciated.
>>
>>As soon as I finish updating the other 158 packages that Yum decided not
>>to install due to this silliness, I will try this. Personally I find it
>>quite irritating to have to install 158 packages, one-by-one because of
>>one or two dependencies that could not be resolved.
>>
>>Thanks again !
>>Mike
>

> Hi Mike,
>
> I don't know why no one has told you this before, but yum has an
> option --exclude that can be used in this situation.  Check out "man
> yum" for more info.  I'm not sure which package exactly you are stuck
> on, but it seems like it is kernel-module-nvidia.  Try this and see
> what happens:
>
> yum --exclude=kernel-module-nvidia\* update
>
> If it complains that it cannot update other packages, just add them as
> other excludes until it works.  Should be easier than updating
> package-by-package.
>
> I agree with others in this thread, I do not see why yum cannot figure
> out which packages it *can* update without conflicts (that is, with
> code written to do that).  Is it really that hard a problem to solve?
> I'm sure it could get complex, but it seems like it should be able to
> figure out at least simple cases like this.  If a package cannot be
> updated because of dependencies, try again with that package set not
> to update.  Repeat until it succeeds.  Would this really be that hard?
>  Maybe I need to learn Python...
>
> Merry Christmas to all!
>
> Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. I have tried the --exclude before. Perhaps I didn't try
that enough though.

Like you, it sure seems to me the yum developers should look into
solving this. It would certainly make life much easier.

I was about to try to figure out what yum was written in. Since you say
it is Python, I won't bother. I don't know Python either.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Thanks,
Mike

--

  Programmers do it bit by bit.
   23:50:01 up  1:06,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.31

  Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org