Yumex became painfully slow

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Sun Dec 25 08:16:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 14:38 +1030, Tim wrote:

> Does anyone else notice that the current incarnation of Yumex has become
> incredibly slow?  I've been waiting half an hour for it to finish
> compiling all the data it wants *just* to display what I can pick from
> to install.  It seems to take long enough normally, but now it's
> deadlooping, repeatedly fetching the file lists.
>
> I had, previously, unticked a setting that says it'll take more time
> (show file lists and changelog), but that setting didn't hold the next
> time I started it, and hasn't helped for the time after that (where the
> setting did hold).
>
> The "auto refresh on start" option seems useless.  Turn it off, and you
> get no file lists, at all, and no way to start them.  Some sort of "no
> refresh on restart" would be useful.  It's a pain when you download one
> package, install it, then decide to get another, and you have to sit
> through it regetting the package lists, recompiling the lists, etc.  I'm
> sure they haven't changed enough to care about in just a couple of
> minutes.
>
> I'd use YUM or a website, they're quicker, but only useful if I know
> what I want to install, they don't have package descriptions.
>
> --

This happens when the checksum of the repo meta data, not is matching
the checksum in repomd.xml. If this happens yum (yumex) while try to
read the repo metadata from another mirror, if the error exist in the
main site, then all mirror will contain the fault and it will look like
yumex is trying to read the metadata again & again.

Tim