ssh security

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 26 07:04:03 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-25 at 21:24 -0800, Gerald wrote:
> It looks like i'm getting a dictionary attack on my system. I moved
> ssh to another port instead of 22 in hopes that would put a halt to it
> but it did not. Any recommendations to improve security here?

Since you ask for "any" recommendations...

If you don't need remote SSH access, configure the server not to listen
to the outside world.  Other options might be to limit what addresses
it'll accept connections from, or which accounts can be remotely logged
into.

Even longer passwords than you care for, to make it harder to brute
force crack.

I read messages from the public lists.