ssh security

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Dec 26 09:41:02 UTC 2005

Gerald wrote:

> It looks like i'm getting a dictionary attack on my system. I moved
> ssh to another port instead of 22 in hopes that would put a halt to it
> but it did not. Any recommendations to improve security here? I notice

I'm very dubious that these attack scripts can find your new sshd listen
port if it is not directly associated with ssh protocol.  The first
thing to check is that you actually moved it.  Here's a box listening on 22:

# netstat -pln | grep sshd
tcp        0      0 :::22                       :::*
    LISTEN      3819/sshd

Note that you would have needed

service sshd restart

after changing