XFS file system

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Mon Dec 26 17:46:15 UTC 2005

Florin Andrei írta:

>On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 10:57 -0700, don fisher wrote:
>

>>I can determine that the XFS file system is supported. But it does not
>>appear to be mainstream (e.g. no mkfs.xfs etc). Abut two years ago it
>>was used for large (>4TB) and fast file systems.
>>
>>What is the current status of XFS. Most all of the documentation I
>>have been able to locate date from the last century.
>>

>When you boot the Fedora installer, add "xfs" to the list of the
>parameters at the very first prompt. E.g. "linux text xfs" (or "linux
>xfs text", can't remember the correct order) for a text-based install
>that activates XFS.
>
>You can then create XFS partitions with the installer.
>The XFS utilities will be installed automatically.
>
>It is recommended to use XFS on partitions which contain very large
>files that are read/written at high speeds. E.g. video capture, MythTV,
>etc. XFS is the best performer in that case.
>
>I am using it all the time on my 200GB multimedia/MythTV partition with
>FC4 and works extremely well.

Well, I have installed FC3 that way (XFS on most partitions)
and now I regret it. All the time I have a power failure (very rare)
or a kernel crash, all the files that were opened O_RDWR contain only
zeroes after reboot. And most of the time the Oops points to the xfs driver.
:-(

Fortunately JOE and other editors close the backup file after saving.
But I had to reinstall several RPMs on such occasions because
prelink or ldconfig was running at the time of the crash.
I never had such a problem with EXT3 before.
I run kernel.org kernels and 2.6.15-rc4-git2 still gives me problems.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi