NTP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 27 23:50:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 15:35 -0800, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>

> I’ve got ntpd running on a machine and syncing with *.ntp.org on a
> regular basis.  How do I go about getting all the other Linux boxes on
> the network to sync to my local server?  Is it as simple as ‘Enable
> NTP Broadcast’?  Or is there something else I need to do?
>

> I know this is a ‘Linux’ list but Linux people tend to know more than
> Windows people … Does anyone know an easy way to get the Windows boxes
> to sync time to the same server?
----
Linux ntp server

- open firewall port (123)
- have line in /etc/ntp.conf like
  restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap
  # change network range to your appropriate network
- restart ntpd service # /sbin/service ntpd restart

Linux machines
- add to /etc/ntp.conf
  restrict 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255
  server 192.168.1.1
  # again, adjust server address for the ip of your ntp server

Windows machines...
- net time /setsntp: 192.168.1.1
  # again, adjust server address for the ip of your ntp server

see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
us/dnw2kmag01/html/TimeWin2K.asp

Craig