FireFox & Mozilla based Web Browsers

Ali Helmy alihelmy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 14:57:44 UTC 2005

ok, here is what happened when i typed the command:

[ahelmy at localhost ~]$ time host google.com
google.com has address 72.14.207.99
;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.

real    0m10.087s
user    0m0.008s
sys     0m0.016s

So, what does that tell me?

PS: i dont have a dial-up screen, i connect via my network

On 12/28/05, John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Ali Helmy wrote:
> > One more thing, when i type in an IP into the browser location bar
> > (ie: http://204.71.200.67/) for yahoo for example the browser connects
> > correclty...
> >It looks like a nameserver problem.
>

> Try this command:
> time host google.com
>
> Post the results. Here are two examples. The first is a very busy
> dialup, and timeouts are common. The second's on a good adsl line.
> [summer at ns ~]$ time host google.com
> google.com has address 64.233.187.99
> google.com has address 72.14.207.99
>
> real    0m5.717s
> user    0m0.002s
> sys     0m0.005s
> [summer at ns ~]$
> [summer at echidna ~]$ time host google.com
> google.com has address 64.233.187.99
> google.com has address 72.14.207.99
>
> real    0m0.343s
> user    0m0.019s
> sys     0m0.038s
> [summer at echidna ~]$
>

> Also, try explicitly using your IAP's DNS. The box that does the dial in
> should have one or two.
>
> host google.com 66.249.83.114
> Note 66.249.83.114 probably won't work, change it to your IAP's.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait