Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 30 01:24:14 UTC 2005

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:
> craigwhite at azapple.com wrote:
>
>> ----
>> pardon the html...trying to keep long line together...
>>
>> stick this in a google search
>>
>> "rmdir when directory is not empty"
>> site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/
>>
>> Craig
>

> Thanks Craig.   I didn't know that Google trick.
>
> My $.02 on the main topic of this thread.  Requests for assistance should:
>
> 1) Have a clear concise statement of the problem as the subject.
>
> 2) Should start off with a re-statement of what the problem is that
> expands on the subject.
>
> 3) If necessary, include the steps the poster has already taken or other
> pertinent information.
>
> This tends to allow verbose posts to get answered since people who have
> some idea of the solution can understand the problem without having to
> wade through a lot of material.  My time is limited (and I'm guessing so
> is everybody else) so I like to be able to *quickly* determine whether I
> can help with a particular problem or not.

All sound advice.

It would, I guess, be too much to ask responders to seek clarification
instead of guessing that the problem is. Often, I think a Q is the only
sensible reply, and I see others assuming they know what the OP means by
"my computer won't boot," or some other vague description of a problem.

> It would be nice if the Fedora web site were to have an easy to find
> "getting help" section that, besides pointing to this list, also
> included some hints such as the above for searching and maybe even some
> basic stuff like using "man -k" and other tools such as grep to RTFM
> successfully.

an introduction to the info command too! I've been using Linux for eight
years or so and I still detest that command, mostly because I don't
understand the UI, it seems arcane, different from everything else....

pinfo is better, but not always part of the install set.

Mostly
$_ info info | less
works.

But also, a guide to asking questions that will attract good answers.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait