Disk defragmenter in Linux

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 30 01:34:09 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>>And more to the point, where third-party RPMs fit into
>>>the picture.  In RedHat-land they are almost always made
>>>to fit into the vendor-provided scheme, clobbering system
>>>files if there is a conflict.  Sometimes that's what you
>>
>>Never clobbering vendor-provided files unless, you the system
>>administrator, make them do so.
>

> I'm not sure I understand.  How do you install updated or
> modified libraries from a third-party yum repository without
> clobbering the system files?

If you install a third-party glibc designed to update your Fedora or RH
system, that's one thing. Think the legacy project for RHL 7.3 and FC < FC2.

If you install wottawidget and it includes (eg) /usr/bin/ldd then rpm
will not do it unless you (the sysadmin) apply a little force*

>> And it's perfectly possible to make
>>relocatable rpms that will install almost anywhere.
>

> Where do you find them?

??
Anywhere the packager distributes them.

Read the rpm documentation.

*
It's possible for wottawidget to obsolete glibc, but I'd regard that as
a malicious act, little different from including Evil Acts in the rpm
scripts where they will be run as root.

--

Cheers
John