Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Dec 30 03:09:31 UTC 2005

Hi

>Here are two of many possible options:
>
>1. The Fedora Core legel beagle should respectfully ask each of the
>unofficial sites to desist from using fedora*.org naming scheme.

Ok.  Thats easy enough but what if people refuse and certainly some of
them would.  Remember just having a trademark doesnt mean you can
legally restrict all use of the words nor is it derisable or a financial
gain for any project.

>2. Do not use the fedora*.org naming scheme and creating a new domain
>for every function/topic that comes along. Use one domain name as the
>parent. If FedoraProject.org is the parent then all child sites should
>be subdomains.  You might have something like forums.fedoraproject.org
>or faq.fedoraproject.org.

http://fedoraforum.org for example here is a community website endorsed
by project. So setting up redirects such as these is pretty easy. We
already do it on several instances. legacy.fedoraproject.org or
people.fedoraproject.org for example.  If you find sub domains such as
these useful file enhancements reports against the infrastructure in
http://bugzilla.redhat.com or post to the fedora-websites-list.

-

Rahul

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/