Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Dec 30 03:46:35 UTC 2005

Hi

> Oh, come one! From the website: "...combination of stable and
> cutting-edge software..."
>
> Cutting-edge software is rarely robust. That's why it's called
> "cutting edge."

That would be "bleeding edge". Its entirely possible to having cutting
edge and robust software. Automating testing, better participation in
rawhide, test releases and updates-testing and bug triaging to get
feedback and fixes faster are some of the possible ways to improve it.

> I was around when rawhide was created; its nature may have changed
> since then, but about the time of Valhalla it was a mismash of
> packages, whatever the Red Hatters were working on, and if Jeremy had
> recently released a new Anaconda it might even be installable, but
> there were many complaints that it wasn't.

Rawhide is a changing beast. Things evolve.

> It was also used for unofficial fixes; this resulted in people
> thinking packages there were official.

There shouldnt be "unofficial fixes" in it now.

> If you don't care for stability and/or want to help refine things,
> Fedora Core 5 beta (maybe blend in some rawhide?) is for you.

There is no beta releases for Fedora. Only test releases.

--
Rahul

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/