pax/ustar not properly handling long pathnames

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 30 03:46:48 UTC 2005

Matt Morgan wrote:

> The really important part of this argument, to a professional
> archivist, is the part where you say "if you have." No archivist would
> build a repository around the expectation that C compilers and gnutar
> source will be usable and readable in 100 years.

An important part of any enterprise backup strategy is the software used
to manipulate the data. Having a good backup of your corporate books
from five years ago is of little use if you lack the software that can
process it.

Similarly, you must arrange to have suitable hardware.

I sometimes wonder: there are lots of people finding challenging and
interesting work deciphering writings of ancient Egyptians (and others)
from thousands of years ago, but at least those writings, cast in stone
as they were, continue to exist.

What will societies of 5000AD have of us?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait