Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 30 05:31:22 UTC 2005

jdow wrote:

> ===8<---
> $ yelp
>
> (yelp:15979): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> $
> ===8<---
>
> And just how does this help me? {^_-}

It's hardly more useful in KDE

> And should have workable CLI access as well as GUI access. (That is the
> main issue I have with HTML pages. Much of the time I rather prefer to
> work at the primitive level. I keep trying to do things that the authors
> of the GUI tools didn't quite contemplate. So I go to the commandline
> to edit the configuration files directly. {^_-})

links (not elinks) is quite good in a framebuffer. Picture me looking
for a house to buy, displaying photos on my 20" sunscreen in a Linux
framebuffer.

Better, picture the monitor:-)

>> Same with googeling. You have to put the correct search criteria in the
>> search window.  If you are just learning (and this applies to Linux
>> newbies or gurus delving into a new area for the first time) you can
>> search for hours and not find something that is in the top ten list of a
>> correctly addressed search simply because you are not asking properly.
>> As was mentioned in an earlier post here, if you want to answer by
>> saying "google for it", suggest some search criteria.
>

> But what is it properly called? Fugitives from Windows very frequently
> get frustrated because they have learned Windows perverted jargon instead
> of the original words for the concepts that the 'ix people invented.

"how to" is often a good start:-)

Then a few words key to your desire:
build rpm
compile gnome
install girlfriend
	(Apparently you cannot install GirlFriend 2.0 at the same time as
GirlFriend 1.0. You must uninstall GirlFriend 1.0 first)

"how to" install justa dirty old woman jdow (yes, really) (found an
interesting digression by a well-known electronics engineer)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait