Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 30 05:45:38 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 21:38, John Summerfied wrote:
>

>>Today, I suggest that
>>If you want stability and support, buy RHEL in the appropriate flavour
>>If you want stability and cheap, download one of the EL clones such as
>>TAO, CENTOS, WBEL (are there more?)
>>If you want the latest and can bear the occasional breakage, use Fedora
>>Core 4.
>>If you don't care for stability and/or want to help refine things,
>>Fedora Core 5 beta (maybe blend in some rawhide?) is for you.
>

> But realistically, what people want is close-to-the latest plus

Realistically, what people want varies widely. Geeks aside, one thing
they agree on is that it works, works and works.

> some stuff that none of the above includes, like mplayer, xine,
> xmms with mp3 support, java, flash and the browser plugins for
> them, etc., so you want FC3 or FC4 with all current updates
> and a bunch of 3rd party packages.   It can be done, but
> it's not necessarily pretty.

Those people are on the wrong distro:-)

SUSE has java, flash and at least some of the other stuff. Including
madwifi drivers (needed for my laptop).

If we can't have all that stuff, then  we really ought to have simple
installers for it.

--

Cheers
John