Disk defragmenter in Linux

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 18:30:10 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Surely those who argue that ext3 does not get fragmented
> during install don't think that 248 extents is "not
> significant fragmentation".

While that almost certainly constitutes "significant fragmentation"
it probably has very little effect on performance.  It _would_
affect performance if that file were being read sequentially, but
ELF binaries don't get loaded that way.  Individual pages are
read in via demand paging, and the next page needed could be from
anywhere in the file.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.