Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Dec 31 02:04:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 10:29 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 05:21, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > >Often the man pages have examples of the way the author expected
> > >the program to be used.  However, there's still a good chance
> > >that isn't exactly what you want to do with it.
> >
> > I submit to you all the manpages for bash.
> >
> > Paragraph after paragraph of explanation of this option and that option
> > in a quite verbose manner, and not a single actual example of a
> > command line, and the results it should return.
>
> Bash is kind of unusual because it is normally the 'calling'
> program, not the one being executed on a command line - or if
> you do execute it intentionally as a command the purpose is
> to start some other program in a subshell.  What you need
Not entirely true.  Many of us use shell scripts to do a significant
amount of work that would otherwise be tedious and repetitive.

> to know about bash is what it does to your command lines
> (splitting on IFS, expanding variables and wildcard filenames,
> redirection i/o etc.) before starting any other program.
> What those other programs do or return is their own business
> but they probably are the real reason you are issuing a
> shell command.
Sure, you need to know *how* to use it and the programming features that
often function in the background. Bash is a genuine programming
environment, as well as a command interpreter.

What most people see is the ability to call other programs.  What is
actually there is *much* more and extremely versatile.