adsl modem (router, switch) was digest 270

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Dec 31 03:04:34 UTC 2005

Mirco Scara wrote:

>  Hi there guys, I urgently need advice on how to set up a home network
>  between 2 computers both dual bootingWINXP and Fedora 4 both on
>  separate internal hard disks. Both are connected via ethernet to a
>  ZOOM adsl router and the router is obviously connected to a
>  hub/switch from which the two separate ethernet cables go to the two
>  separate ethernet cards on the two separate computers. Now the
>  problem is:
>
>  Both computers can get connected to the internet at one time but
>  never together at the same time.

This problem sounds like you have a high speed modem hooked to a 4-port
switch. If  you have a router, it gets the one IP address from your ISP
(hooked to modem) and on the other end assigns different IP addresses to
each computer in a local area address band. The computers then should
both be able to connect to the Internet.

If you only have a switch / hub, you only get the ISP assigned address
and only one computer gets the connection. I know someone that bought
two seperate IP addresses from their ISP and still had trouble when
using a switch instead of a router.

Replace the hub with a router. They are fairly inexpensive.

Jim