is evolution really dependent on spamassassin?

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Sat Dec 31 16:01:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:40:56 +1030, Tim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't use spamassassin, I find it more of a hindrance than a help, so
> I wanted to remove it.
>
> yum remove spamassassin
> ...[snip]...
>  Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
> Removing:
>  spamassassin            i386       3.0.4-2.fc4      installed         1.8 M
> Removing for dependencies:
>  evolution               i386       2.2.3-2.fc4      installed          24 M
>
> And trying "rpm -e spamassassin" produces the same sort of response.
>
> Surely this is a stupid dependency?  It's supposedly *optional* whether
> you use anti-spam filtering in Evolution (I've never allowed it's junk
> mail checking), why should it *have* to be present?
>
> --

Not the only annoying dependency. For instance, tetex-xdvi comes with 40Mb
of japanese fonts. What if all of a sudden I feel like writing japanese
papers?

Joke:
Q: Why does a policeman always put a full glass of water and an empty one
on his bedside table before he goes to bed?
A: Well, what if he's thirsty? But what if he's not thirsty?

I haven't checked, but I bet there must be a compile option in the
evolution source that allows you to disable spamassassin. If I really
wanted to get rid of spamassassin, I'd download the evolution src.rpm,
hack it, change the spec file and rebuild it. But probably not worth the
trouble.