Linux Sun's JVM needs improvements

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Feb 1 02:39:17 UTC 2005

Edward Yang wrote:

> Okay, I want to add more about Sun's JVM performance.
>
> I have posted a message to Sun's forum about the memory footprint of
> the JVM on FC3. Please visit
> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=590956 for the message.

I was about to point out that you were talking about *Linux*, in this
case Fedora Core 3 distribution, and everyone (apparently) undestood
that you were using *Windows* and that the problem showed in Windows...
I don't know if you could try and run a dedicated session of FC, just to
make sure the results are consistent with what you get in VPC...
Personally I've run into >400Mb memory foot print of Java *only* with
Azureus (a famous Java Torrent client), other applications, such as
LimeWire while DO populate the RAM get about 3/4 of that... However
*any* Java applet run through Firefox or Konqueror will *at the very
least* load 80Mb into memory, this after a fresh boot with a base memory
usage of about 98 Mb (measured with GkrellM)... I'll try to post in
general Linux forums about this in other distributions specificially
with Sun's JVM.