Slighty OT Laptop Recommendation

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 1 03:41:59 UTC 2005

Mike Hoy wrote:
> i'm curently researching laptops as well.
>
> ibm's are highly recommended, but use ATI stuff. But they have the best
> keyboards and the owner of Emperor Linux told me flat out that anything
> after a T-21 is gonna work well with Linux. He also will  put LInux on
> your laptop for 350 bucks if it's a model that he uses in his store. His
> people write a special kernel just for the laptop and the distro you
> want. I believe he supports FC3. so if you buy a IBM t-21 or later and
> then have trouble you can pay them 350 bucks for an install and it comes
> with a recovery partition and a user's manual specific to your model and
> distro.

I have one of the A22p's and it is what may be the last in a long line
of Thinkpads going back about ten years.  I have a 600E, which was for a
long time the only Thinkpad that IBM detailed RH installation.

> i think the price is too high personally. But the IBM is worth it. The
> keyboard alone has sold me.

I agree.  I had two 760's and both had less than high quality keyboards.

How about some info on Emperor Linux?  I am looking at a replacement and
want Linux on it.  I can look at Dells and will take your advice.

--
James McKenzie