Volume settings not preserved, who's to blame?

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Feb 3 03:24:53 UTC 2005

David Curry wrote:

> Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>
>> Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>>> Yup.

>>> It's a laptop with an AC97-compatible chipset, that uses i810_audio.o

>>> modprobe.conf is for the 2.4 kernels.
>>>
>>> In modules.conf, I've got this monstrosity:
>>>
>>> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>>> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S

>>> alsactl works just fine.
>>>
>>> I'll try dicking around with modules.conf…
>>>

>> Use alsamixer to set your volumes, then just (as root) issue alsactl
>> store (that's what the lines in modprobe should do, but it actually
>> doesn't). What I certainly would do is to install the driver from an
>> updated rpm or source (if you know how to) and just use the alsasound
>> system service for this: /sbin/service alsasound restart will store
>> the values and keep your sound working. Upon reboot you should get
>> your volumes back,
>>
> Fascinating exchanges.
>
> I also run on FC2 (2.6.10-1.9_FC2) and have a similar experience.
> Following each reboot, I must reset volumes and  frequently find that
> "Master Mono" has been muted (with volume slider still in max
> position).  The kernel choice in FC2 really does not matter as the
> phenomenon occurs with each.
>
> The system has a modprobe.conf file and no modules.conf.  An .asoundrc
> file has been placed in /home/user/.
>
> Issuing the /usr/sbin/alsactl store command from a root prompt
> (reached by su -) generates another # prompt without any exception
> messages.  On reboot, sound volumes are still set to zero.
>
> Restore-remove lines from the modprobe.conf file are
> install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
>
> man modprobe, man modprobe.conf, man alsactl have been read and
> several variations in the above statements have worsened rather than
> improved sound performance.

That's strange... then again, I use ALSA vanilla (1.0.8 from source, no
rpms), and this is what my modprobe.conf looks like regarding ALSA:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
# card #0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
# card 1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

The default lines from the system-config-soundcard are commented out, so
no lousy control, and the store/restore of the volume data is done with
the alsasound initscript (from the alsa-driver package), both soundcards
work just fine.