FC2 PCMCIA / Wireless Problems, Dell Latitude C840 Laptop

G-Love greg at 20percent.org
Thu Feb 3 19:36:10 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 01:45, G-Love wrote:
>
>>Just did a fresh install of FC2 on a Dell Latitude C840 laptop, and am
>>having a bit of trouble with PCMCIA.  It appears as though PCMCIA
>>services are not being started at all.  When I boot the machine, my
>>wireless card is in slot 1, but I get no ack during boot that it was
>>recognized.  Then, /sbin/cardctl status just after boot gives me:
>>
>>open_sock(): No such device
>>
>>I can get the PCMCIA services running manually by doing
>>service network stop
>>service pcmcia stop
>>modprobe yenta_socket
>>service pcmcia start
>>service network start
>>
>>So, my question is two-fold:
>>
>>1) How do I get pcmcia to start on boot? (As a side, I've installed FC2
>>on other desktops/laptops and have not previously seen this behavior).
>>
>>2) What further steps do I need to take once pcmcia services are running
>>  to get my wireless nic working?  I've got all my network parameters,
>>etc, handy, so that's not an issue.
>

> With FC2 my experience has been that you need to tell your system NOT to
> boot the PCMCIA NIC at start time.  Not sure if that is your problem
> here.  If you tell it NOT to start at boot time the PCMCIA card will be
> started anyway when the PCMCIA services starts.  In FC2 the PCMCIA
> services get started after network services and their apparently is some
> kind of race condition or problem if you try to start the PCMCIA card
> before the services for it is started.
>
> Hopefully that will take care of it for you.
>
> Once you have PCMCIA services started you should be able to configure
> your network settings for the card.  I use the network GUI usually for
> doing this to set the SSID and WEP keys.

That wasn't exactly the issue.  I set 'PCMCIA=' in my
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, but I was still having the same problem.  I went
back and manually started pcmcia services, and it successfully found the
card.  I was then able to use the network utility to probe for the card,
and it was found.  I set it up for my home network, and all was well.
However, I still have the same problem when I specify enable eth1 on
boot.  So what can I do to get around this?  It seems like there's still
  a fundamental problem with PCMCIA on my system.  Any thoughts?

          -greg

--
GAH
greg at 20percent.org