FC 3 updates...

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Thu Feb 3 23:19:55 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Weaver" <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com>
To: "Fedora Core 3" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 10:28 PM
Subject: FC 3 updates...

> Hi All,
>
> I've been wondering about something. For the past few days there have been
> a lot of updates coming out that up2date is wanting to apply. Whats up
> with that?
>
> --
> Mark

Welcome to the bleeding edge...  :-)

According to http://fedora.redhat.com/, Fedora is "...also a proving ground
for new technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products."

In other words, as they work on software that they are preparing for their
commercial distribution, they put that sofware into Fedora so the community
can eye-ball it.  Red Hat follows Linus' advice - "release early and release
often."  The net result is that we get a LOT of software updates.

If this is unacceptable to you, you might consider their more slow-moving,
commercial distribution, Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  It costs, but it's very
stab;e and doesn't have nearly as many updates as FC does.

Thomas