History of FAX, totally OT

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Feb 4 01:02:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:48:52AM -0500, Gordon Keehn wrote:

> >   *Fax machines have actually been around since at least the 1800's. A
> >mechanical device which carved wood was set up in two towns in France
> >for some kind of exposition, with just a wire between the two towns. It
> >actually worked, and the idea's been around since then, building slowly
> >through the 1970's when my Dad owned a service for faxing checks between
> >truckstops and transportation companies.  Not a new idea, for a long
> >time.
> >

>    Those old enough to remember "Dragnet" in the '50s (Jack Webb, Ben
> Alexander, and they don't make 'em like that anymore!) saw occasional
> glimpses of a gadget with a sheet of paper wrapped around a rapidly
> revolving drum, with a solenoid-controlled pen to draw the image.  I
> don't recall what they called it but as a young teen, I thought it was
> next thing to magic.
>    Cheers,
> Gordon Keehn

FAX used to be used in the newspaper industry. I don't know how old
the technology is, but it's fairly old. When I was a kid (quite some
time ago, now, given how time is racing by) you'd see a black and
white photo in the newspaper of something that happened thousands of
miles away, with a caption "AP Wire Photo". That my friends, was a
facsimile transmission.