Matrox Millenium G550 - good choice?

Paul F. Almquist paul at almquist.name
Fri Feb 4 17:40:07 UTC 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 07:03, Simon Andrews wrote:
> Dave Jones wrote:
> > The only issue I've had with the Matrox X server has been that the
> > dual head doesn't work unless I futz with the config file.
> > It works in cloned mode, but not in xinerama mode.
>
> Strange - is this a G550 specific thing? We've got a G400 here which
> works just fine in both cloned and Xinerama modes with no futzing required.
>
> I'd be happy to share our xorg.conf if you'd like.

My G400 and FC3 combo did not work in Xinerama mode until I installed the
driver from Matrox.  You can get it at:
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/latest/home.cfm
latest one is dated 8dec04 and is version 4.1
installation is trivial.

I'd go crazy without my dual head setup.  It's well worth the cost.  I got my
g400  card on ebay about 3-4 years ago for about $130. 2048x768 rocks.
2-17 inch flat crt's.  I use KDE and have a panel on each side and external
task bar at the top.  Lots of working room.

paul

--
Paul F. Almquist
paul at almquist.name