A stupid mistake!

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 17:48:18 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> FC3 comes with i586 (Pentium, Pentium MMX, older AMD, Cyrix, VIA) and
> i686 packages (Pentium Pro and newever, are there any AMD/Cyrix/VIA
> processors compatible with i686?).  Check if your AMD is i586 or i686
> compatible (not sure if there are any i686 compatible AMDs, haven't had
> any AMD processor in my hands for long time, so this is theoreticall
> only).

Opterons, Durons, and Athlons of all descriptions are i686 compatible. I
believe that neither Cyrix nor Via made processors with the CMOV
instruction, so they count as 586 as far as gcc (and hence Linux) is
concerned.

Opterons and Athlon 64s, of course, can also run x86-64 operating
systems and programs.

James.
--
James Wilkinson       | DON'T be put off by "horror stories" spread by
Exeter    Devon    UK | others.  People who talk about death and serious