STMP Auth Failure

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Feb 4 18:12:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:06 -0600, rcurts at robincurts.com wrote:
> I CAN send mail to <my_username>@<hostname_of_box>.com ... but if i send
> to an outside domain I get the error.
>
> The AUTH section of my sendmail.mc file:
>
> define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
> PLAIN')dnl

Try removing the "p" for the first line, like this:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl

I believe the "p" parameter only allows encrypted authentication, and
will expressly prevent SMTP AUTH unencrypted mechanisms like PLAIN and
LOGIN unless the session is encrypted.

For most people, allowing PLAIN and LOGIN SMTP AUTH is no greater risk
than they already have, since POP and IMAP *also* transmit unencrypted
passwords. Hence, no damage done  by removing the 'p'.

I think it should work with that one change. Try it and see!

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>