2 different FC2 issues: >4GB of RAM, and dead USB ports

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Feb 5 07:33:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 05:16:40PM -0800, John Burk wrote:

 > Kernel version on the blades is 2.6.5-1.358smp, release version is
 > "Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)".
 >
 > Should I bother re-compiling a kernel on a blade with 4GB and rhfc2
 > installed, and then get xcat to install it onto the blades as a postscript?
 >
 > Or is there something else I should try first?

Step #1: up2date -fu  (or yum update)

2.6.5 is so old I don't even remember what issues that kernel had.
The latest FC2 update is 2.6.10. There's a number of issues however
that still aren't worked out, including several USB problems.
It's possible these may fall out in 2.6.11, but I've not seen
sufficient feedback from the rawhide kernels in that regard.

However staying on 2.6.5 isn't going to help your cause any.

		Dave