Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

THUFIR HAWAT thufir.hawat at mail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:03:51 UTC 2005

COPIED FROM THE ARCHIVES:
Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

    * From: "D. D. Brierton" <darren dzr-web com>
    * To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
    * Subject: Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?
    * Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:34:06 +0000

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 02:00 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:

[..]
I never understood why open
source projects have such a penchant for mailing lists, when clearly
that isn't really what email was designed for and is what usenet/NNTP is
designed for. Especially given that you can set up a newsserver which
requires a username and password to access it, and which can be set to
only carry local groups and retain the messages forever (which would
solve many of the problems involved with searching the lists as well).

Anyway, I'm all for thinking of ways to improve how we as a community
communicate with each other. But I'm sceptical that web forums are the
way forward.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com          www.dzr-web.com

First, nice sig :)

Secondly, concur as to why even have an e-mail list given usenet's designed as public forum?  all this re-inventing usenet with web forums is counter productive.  one of the major features of usenet is that it's "complete" in that it has hierarchies.  for once, take a page from microsoft: create redhat.public.user or whatever.  if redhat wants a web interface, great, but use the tools already in existence.  if each little project/topic has its myriad of web pages/wikis etc then it's going to be that much harder to search for material.  because it's hard to search for a faq/rtfm type question, they're going to come up that much more frequently.  whether it's deja-news, google or company-x, the key to usenet is that it's self contained and has a logical hierarchy.

personally, i just get the digest to this list and delete the digest.  really, i should just not have any messages sent to me.  if i want to follow a thread (like, if i need help), then i go to the archives.  the archives are just a poor-mans usenet; they're searchable but i can't "post" from there.  also, i can only search one archive at a time, not a good variety of "groups" or "lists", or what-have-you.

if there were a secure website then i could log-in and post and read from that website.  however, that already exists!  it's called google-groups.  now, microsoft, i believe, allows people to post on their website, the posts are then reflected on usenet.

due to the high volume of this list i can't participate.  my mailbox won't support the volume and it's hard on the eyes and, at least, my brain.  this is, i believe, the first (and probably last) time i'll "participate" because it's such a nuisance to do so.

just drop this bogus "list" and change to usenet.  if redhat wants to put a web page in front of usenet, ok, but don't go around re-inventing a second rate wheel when there's a really good wheel out there.

specifically, what functionality would some web-app have over usenet?

--
Thufir Hawat

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm