Fedora 3 instalation for PDC

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 15:26:38 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> Pentium 100 is half what is recommended for text mode - I wouldn't
> expect a lot of success here

Never pay too much attention to recommended clock speeds.

Yes, it's important if the job is CPU-dependent *and* time-critical. For
example, you do need a certain amount of CPU power for non-accelerated
smooth DVD playing.

But that sort of job is pretty rare, especially on Linux. Most of the
time, most processors spend at least 80% to 90% of their time idle. A
simple server install is normally not that CPU dependent.

I wouldn't recommend it for doing compiles, or for certain CPU-intensive
spam-filtering jobs. But for everything else, the processor should be
fine.

Use the "top" command or the "vmstat 2" command, and monitor the "id"
(idle) figure and the "wa" (wait) figure. You're only CPU-bound if both
of those go into single figures. (They represent the percentage of the
time the CPU is idle, or waiting on something like the disk drive).

As has been mentioned, the Original Poster will get *much* better
results if he can find a little more memory for the box.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "I don't think so," said René Descartes.  Just then,
Exeter    Devon    UK | he vanished.