problems with zlib

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Feb 5 15:29:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 20:20 +0100, zig wrote:
> I installed* the new version of zlib with the command:
> rpm -U zlib-1.2.2.2-1.i386.rpm zlib-devel-1.2.2.2-1.i386.rpm
> After that a lot of different problems came on. e.g.
> - up2date
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 12, in ?
>      import rpm
>   ImportError: /usr/lib/libz.so.1: symbol __fprintf_chk, version
>    GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I suspect you've installed the binary RPM from the development tree
instead of taking the source RPM and building it on your FC2 system,
hence the references to a later version of glibc than you have. However,
I'm surprised that rpm let you install this without using --nodeps or --
force, which you didn't mention that you'd done above.

> -installing clamav one has the message:
>   /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.3.3/../../../libz.so: undefined
>      reference to `__fprintf_chk at GLIBC_2.3.4'
>   configure: error: Please install zlib and zlib-devel packages
>
> -an error message comes during booting from cups
>
> -apparently zlib and zlib-devel are installed correctly (from rpm)
>
> BUT now it seems that everything needs libz.so.1 and the present
> version requires glibc 2.3.4 (also yum...)
>
> I tried to go back to the previous version but (rpm -U --oldpackage)
> gives segmentation fault.
> Any suggestion, help?
> thanks
> paolo
>
> uname -r = 2.6.10-1.9_FC2
>

> *This was required from clamav to install clamav0.81
> "for security reasons"

The first job is to restore any working version of zlib on to your
machine so that RPM can work. If you have a regular FC2/FC3 version of
zlib installed on another machine, you can use that. Let's say it's zlib
zlib-1.2.1.2. Copy /usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.1.2 from the working machine to
to your broken machine. Then:

# cd /usr/lib
# rm libz.so.1
# ln -s libz.so.1.2.1.2 libz.so.1
# rm libz.so.1.2.2.2
# ldconfig

The should get RPM and your other applications back working.

You can then download the SRPM for zlib-1.2.2.2 from the development
tree and rebuild it on your target machine. The resulting packages
should be safe to install.

# rpmbuild --rebuild zlib-1.2.2.2-1.src.rpm

Since the RPM database already thinks that you have zlib-1.2.2.2-1
installed, use --replacefiles --replacepkgs as options to RPM when you
install the newly-built zlib and zlib-devel packages.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>