Activating wireless card at boot

Don Dupy fedora at maxxrad.net
Sat Feb 5 18:38:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, antonio montagnani wrote:

> akonstam at trinity.edu ha scritto/wrote il giorno/on 04/02/2005 23:06:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:53:18PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>>
>>> Once my computer is booted up, I can execute the following series of
>>> commands (as root):
>>>
>>> # iwlist wlan0 scan
>>> # iwconfig wlan0 key restricted <my-key>
>>> # dhclient wlan0
>>>
>>> in order to get up and running with my wireless card. I'm using a Linksys
>>> WPC-11b ver. 3 wireless card with ndiswrapper, and my laptop is running
>>> FC3 kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3.
>>>
>>> No matter what I do, though, I can't seem to get this working on boot.
>>> I've tried creating the new wireless device in the network configuration
>>> tool, entering all of the proper settings in the "Wireless" tab. The
>>> computer seems to recognize the wireless card and reports a strong signal,
>>> but I can't see the SSID for my WAP and I certainly can't get an IP
>>> address from the DHCP server.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>

>> If you  have your card properly configured as wlan0 through the
>> system-config-network gui then ifup wlan0 should bring it up and
>> ifdown wlan0 bring it down. Do you have a eth0 interface on you machine. We
>> have found that even
>> if the machine is not connected with a wire the eth0 interface will be
>> brought up and prevent the wlan0 interface from coming up.
>>
>> Now if anyone out there knows how to keep the eth0 interface from
>> coming up on boot even when there is no line plugged into it I would
>> like to hear about it.
>>
> by system-control-network, I assume that you should be able to prevent eth0
> to come up at boottime.
>
> let me know...

my wireless card on my laptop is eth1. I dont know what the difference is
between that and wlan0, but mine works fine. I can ifup eth1 ifdown eth1
or whatever. This may be a little off topic but I have my eth cards set to
not start at boot. It boots faster when not connected to anything. then
just open a terminal and ifup ethX

  Don Dupy

FC1 - Kernel 2.4.22 - Dell Poweredge 600SC
http://www.maxxrad.net
email: fedora at maxxrad.net