Trimming kernel

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Sat Feb 5 18:49:22 UTC 2005

On 5 Feb 2005, at 20:20, Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:

>> Ein? What the heck is a jumbo kernel?
>
> I mean a kernel that was built with a .config that compiles every
> available module in the hope that it will take advantage of every
> available hardware on most machines. I want to create a .config that
> exactly matches the hardware of a particular computer.

AFAICT, you'll have to manually configure the kernel. I don't know of
any automatic tool that is able to create a .config for you that
reflect your exact hardware configuration.

What I usually do is doing an inventory of the hardware the machine has
currently attached or any future hardware I could think of pluggin in.
Then, I leave only the essential built into the kernel, and the rest as
modules.