Second video card not detected?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 08:03:38 UTC 2005

>Hmmm.  After a closer look, I can see both cards in the lspci output:
>
>01:08.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440
>AGP 8x] (rev a4) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 193
>        Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
>        Expansion ROM at fc9e0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>        Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>
>02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000
>AGP 8x] (rev c1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>        Flags: 66Mhz, medium devsel, IRQ 177
>        Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=16M]
>        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [disabled] [size=128M]
>        Expansion ROM at fffe0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>        Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>        Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0
>
>Must have had an attack of blindness first time around.  Only the one on
>02:00.0 is being seen by system-config-display however.  These are identical
>cards, except that one is AGP and the other PCI.  There may be some hardware
>involvement in this problem as the POST shows up on the PCI card, which is
>the one that is properly detected.  I would have thought that the AGP card
>would get the primary role.
>
>cheers
>Brian

With my BIOS version, I can select the internal, AGP or the PCI as the
primary card. For capabilities of your BIOS, running dmidecode reveals
the capabilitied that your BIOS has. For mine, the excerpt from
dmidecode shows the following. you migh look at the output on your
computer to check on its capabilities.

Jim

 BIOS Information
                Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.