Question on installation of FC3_86_64.

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Feb 6 18:09:40 UTC 2005

ne... wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:58:26 +0100, Erik P. Olsen <erik at epo.dk> wrote:
>

>>The Fedora FC3_86 installation DVD runs fine on the new peocessor as does the rescue CD. Is there perhaps
>>an easy way to go from FC3_86 to FC3_86_64 using one of these plus a few selected 64-bit RPMs?
>>

>Maybe by doing an upgrade instead of an install. Tho I do not see
>why you cannot just change the cpu and mobo and move everything
>over. You may have to do a grub-install but I'm just guessing here.
>
>N.Emile...

You can simply unplug the disk drive and plug into the new motherboard
and everything should be working fine.. Never tried changing from x86 to
x86_64 , but I've changed motherboards once (from a via based to a
nforce based motherboard). Kudzu recognized everything.
If everything on your motherboard is compatible with linux , then it's
just a matter of booting and let kudzu run.
Also , no need to do a grub-install , unless for some reason you lost
the MBR of the disk and grub was installed there.

--
Pedro Macedo