FC3 on Toshiba Satellite A15-S129 Laptop?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Sun Feb 6 22:07:24 UTC 2005

Robert Crowther wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:11:25 -0500, Rick Bilonick <rab at nauticom.net> wrote:
>

>>When you say firmware  for the card, do you mean you have to install
>>code into the card? (I've heard of updating firmware in certain types of
>>hardware.) I was thinking of buying a DWL G650 to increase the
>>connection speed.
>>

>I was reading yesterday (though I can't find the link right now) that
>modern wlan cards expect the driver to load their firmware for them on
>startup, there is RAM set aside on the cards for this.  Apparently it
>is to reduce problems with firmware/driver mismatches and problems
>with out of date firmware.
>
>With regard to your earlier problems - did you definitely have the
>pcmcia-cs service running?  I know there was a big change with how
>pcmcia-cs works with 2.6 kernels rather than 2.4 kernels (in 2.4 the
>drivers came with the pcmcia-cs package, in 2.6 the drivers come with
>the kernel package - I think).
>
>Rob

I tried to install FC2 months ago so I don't remember all the details
clearly. My memory was that the pcmcia slot did not work but I don't
think I knew enough at the time to try to restart it. (Now I realize I
should at least have tried to restart it.) Under RH9, the pcmcia slot is
activated first and then the network card is activated. Why would you
try to activate a pc-card network card before activating the pc-card
slot (if that is what FC2 was doing)?

I looked at the D-Link DWL-G650 which Scott said used the prism54
driver. The box I saw at Best Buy today mentioned something about
atheros. Does prism54 support the atheros chipset?

If I try to install FC3 on the laptop, it should install the pcmcia
driver and the prism 2 (orinoco) driver automatically, shouldn't it? (I
just installed FC3 on an older computer I had FC2 on and it installed
without any problems. I also have FC2 running on a new Athlon 64 system.
I just had the problem with the laptop.)

Rick B.