Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Feb 7 21:18:46 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-02-07 14:00, William Hooper whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>Fritz Whittington said:
>[snip]
>

>>Agreed.  The only problem with the gmane.org news is that it doesn't
>>seem to propagate postings to it backwards to the list, only from the list
>>to the newsgroup.
>>

>Oh?
>
>http://gmane.org/post.php

Posted to it twice this last week.  Never got any email from them.  (And
of course, they never showed up on the list.)  Perhaps att.net has them
blacklisted.

>>OTOH, if we all just stopped using the list and just
>>used the newsgroup....
>>

>Gmane doesn't have a seperate "newsgroup", it just mirrors list traffic.

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck.... If everyone here posted to/read
from the "newsgroup", then it wouldn't matter if anyone actually read
the list.  As far as I can tell, you don't have to be subscribed to the
list to post there.

Perhaps my real point is:  mailing lists are fine for a relatively small
number of people with reasonably low volume.  I think the number/volume
we have here is more than enough to justify a newsgroup.  I know I've
been on a lot of newsgroups that didn't have anywhere near this kind of
traffic....

--
Fritz Whittington
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. (Marie Ebner von Eschenbach, Aphorisms, 1905)