xorg and meta key under Emacs

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff+list at imap.cc
Tue Feb 8 00:50:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 17:02 +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> The GTK2 support is indeed only in Emacs CVS, and is still
> regarded as experimental -- there are some problems with the
> scrollbars apparently.

I haven't gone out of my way to spot a bug with the GTK2 support,
but from using an Emacs with this support compiled in for a week, I
have run into absolutely no problems. I saw the discussion of the
GTK2 scrollbar problem in the emacs-devel list last fall, but as far
as I can tell, that problem has been fixed.

> Of course whether GTK2 and XFT/Fontconfig support is ready for
> prime-time or not, I cannot understand why there hasn't been a new
> release of Emacs in something like 2 years. I think Emacs has a
> lot of good developers working on it but no one with really strong
> project management skills.

You may be right. What _I_ don't understand is that given the
rareness of official releases, why the Fedora packagers don't use a
CVS snapshot of Emacs. After all, I thought Fedora packages are not
supposed to be as bug-free as Red Hat Enterprise packages, so the
risk would not be so great. Is this some kind of distribution
etiquette thing?

Cheers, Alex