Palm -> kpilot sync problems

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 18:06:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:19:53 +0000, Sharon Kimble <skimble04 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
> > Suddenly I'm unable to sync my palm to kpilot. Every time I try it times
> > out and I get this message 'Cannot accept Pilot (Connection timed out)'. I
> > was last able to sync okay on 2005/02/06 at 1503 [GMT]. I can't see any
> > reason why it shouldn't sync, so I wonder if anyone else is having
> > problems as well?
>
> What a nebulous question! No required information! Who is this twit? :)
>
> Background information, as I forgot to post it originally. I also see when
> kpilot is displayed the following;-
> ======================================
> Version: KPilot 4.4.6
> Version: pilot-link 0.11.8
> Version: KDE 3.3.2-1.0.3.kde
> Version: Qt 3.3.3
>
> 15:14:55 Starting the KPilot daemon ...
> 15:14:55 Daemon status is `not running'
> 15:14:57 Trying to open device /dev/ttyS1...
> 15:14:57 Device link ready.
> 15:17:57 Cannot accept Pilot (Connection timed out)
> =======================================
> The permissions for /dev/ttyS1 are rw-rw-rw- and haven't changed. In fact,
> none of the hardware has changed and the computer hadn't been shut down at
> all.
>
> Has anyone any ideas that will get it back up and running please?
>
> Sharon.

I was just going to write back with all the udev-related stuff I
learned getting my Treo 650 working in the last few days, when I
realized that you are using a serial connection, where I'm on USB. So,
two quick ones:

1) Is it still on ttyS1?
2) Maybe the cable has gone bad? If everything else is really all the
same, it could be the hardware. Try syncing to another computer, if
you have one available.