routing question

Douglas Frank frank at zk3.dec.com
Tue Feb 8 19:54:03 UTC 2005

I thought I *had* set up a default gateway.  Reading the rout(8) man
page, it says this:

  gw GW  route  packets  via a gateway.  NOTE: The specified gateway must
         be reachable first. This usually means that you have to set up a
         static  route  to  the  gateway  beforehand.  If you specify the
         address of one of your local interfaces,  it  will  be  used  to
         decide about the interface to which the packets should be routed
         to. This is a BSDism compatibility hack.

After reading the above, I tried both:

	route add default gw <own-ip-addr>
and
	route add default gw <router-ip>

where <router-ip> is of course the IP of network 16.140.128's router
(one of them), and this lets me onto the wire, but only for the local
network.  I all the other networks are still unreachable.

--
Douglas Frank
HP Co.